Friday, August 18, 2006

Done with Orientation

I just got back from the last day of New Teacher Orientation. The pros of orientation were:
  • Meeting lots of new teachers who are a lot like me - I'm not alone!
  • Meeting lots of new teachers who aren't like me - like the Teach for America kids and the DC Fellows (a program run through American University to get certified)
  • Meeting veteran teachers who have decided to switch into the DCPS system from other places like post-Katrina New Orleans
  • A session about how to prevent and handle aggressive behavior
  • The food was surprisingly good, and free!
  • Free stuff like Harry and Rosemary Wongs' "The First Days of School", "501 Tips for Teachers" by Edward Ramsey, and some school supplies
The cons of orientation were:
  • My free school supplies included black construction paper. What am I supposed to do with black construction paper?
  • An entire day of learning what standards are and how to use them to guide planning. For those not hip on teacher language, standards are just the main things we need to teach. No one should require 5 hours of training on how to figure out what standards mean.
  • I never met the other new teacher that will be at my school
I asked a bunch of people at Orientation what they thought about my kids making up the rules or me making up the rules dilemma and everyone seemed to like a compromise that sounds good to me. Let the kids come up with some rules on their own, but jot them down in wording I would use or guide them towards my rules. I can tell the kids I'm going to compile every classes' rules together, but then just put up my rules the next day. They'd never have to know. No one seemed to think going one day without posted official rules would ruin my year, despite what all the literature I'm reading says.

Ron Clark had one funny rule: No Doritos in the Building. The whole point of this rule was just to give him an excuse to freak out about seeing Doritos to provide some laughs for the kids. It injected a little personality into his rules. Clearly I can't just use that rule, because for one, I love Doritos. So tasty! But, I think I've come up with another rule I truly believe in:

Deodorant is for armpits only. Don't you dare use body spray.

I like this rule for two reasons. One, teenage boys seem to honestly believe girls will be unable to control their passions if they spray this foul Axe or Tag on themselves, so they practically drown themselves in the stuff in the hallways and classrooms. Two, it gives me the chance to throw a pretend fit when I see a bottle and to throw it in the trashcan, thus making kids laugh.

I just read over that last paragraph, and now I'm re-thinking this idea. Am I copying Ron Clark waaay too much? I feel like a stalker. And is it funny at all to throw a kid's Axe away? I dunno - maybe I need to find a new funny rule. Or perhaps just not search for ways to steal kids' things.

Another thought I had was about decorating my room. Being a very organized person who can't stand clutter, I'm trying to avoid making my room look like the funny pages. I want it to feel very comfortable, like home. I'm going to try and clear bringing in some rugs with the cleaning staff at the school, and I'd like to have lots of live plants, since I'm fortunate enough to have a number of windows in my room. Wouldn't it be cool to grow herbs like basil and mint in my classroom? That way I can make myself some good dinners at home and even let kids take some home to their parents, as well. And it has got to be easier to keep plants than a class pet. I also wanted to bring in some personality items like my Harry Potter blanket or my Kermit the Frog talking puppet, but I would cry if those things got stolen, so I've decided against that.

Do you see how much time I'm spending thinking about all these details? As a student, I never gave any thought to the bulletin boards on the wall or the class expectations. I guess just how little kids don't realize that their teachers go home at night and don't sleep in the school building, I'm realizing that all this teaching stuff isn't instinct. Every minor thing is loaded with potential meaning and consequences and took a surprising amount of time for teachers to decide upon. I am already thoroughly convinced that teaching is the most challenging endeavor you can find. Why climb Mt. Everest when you can teach middle school?

Well I'm off to finally start planning out my units and maybe even some lessons. On a Friday night. Because I'm cool. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what you can do with black construction paper:
perfect for mounting pics you can use for instruction
use for inquiry construction activities.....like build a tower.....build a boat.....

Mr. MacKnight said...

Dear DC Newbie,

Welcome to the profession. I'm a couple of decades ahead of you, but still learning. Good luck in your first year!

Cheers,

Eric MacKnight
http://www.EricMacKnight.com/
http://GoodHabitsGoodStudents.com/blog

Alaska said...

Dear DC Newbie -
I am also a fan of "Essential 55" but have not tackled enforcing 55 rules. I am interested in your 12 rules and 13 life skills (did I get that right?)- sounds more palatable to kids. I like it!

This is my 4th year and I do not feel "sick" with nerves - school starts tomorrow for me. It gets more managable, though I'm not ready to say "easier." I'm sure I will not sleep tonight, and if I do sleep I will be dreaming of working in my classroom.

I am also a very casual person, frankly I don't even care if my kids call me by my first name. However, I think it is right to teach them how to demonstrate respectful behavior. Our society is becoming less formal and I believe good manners are being sacrificed. That said, my kids must address me as Mrs. Turner or ma'am. I often address them the same way - sincerely, though. At first some of them think I'm being sassy by calling them Miss Adams or ma'am/sir - but they quickly figure that's how I talk, it's not sarcastic.

Have a great year - it will be what you make of it.

clhult said...

Hey, I would be exciteed to really give my best to students who do not always get the best - this year will be more rememberable and rewarding than your experience with the top kids. You will be able to see leaps in learning if you get the kids engaged . . . for my first day I will ask them to draw a scientist - no color -and give them only a few minutes to do this. It must be a full body picture. I take them home and learn a lot about them - I look for certain characteristics like balding, facial hair, lab coats, glasses/goggles, pocket protectors, glassware in their hands (test tubes, flasks) and then notice how many boys draw female scientists and how many girls draw male scientists - boys never draw females! I use this as my opener for the next day - what is a scientist? What is science - then they observe an egg in a bottle BUT - try a water balloon - you will win their interest in science - get curious - what if we try a bigger balloon? etc . . . so start small and get bigger and bigger . . . until it pops and water goes everywhere - now that's science - ask what and why it happpened . . . enjoy your year teaching the challenge of America but believe this is where you will make the biggest difference in the lives of kids! - Discipline will only be a problem when kids are not engaged - set their curiosity for the next day - set out something wierd that connects to the lesson - a veteran teacher - I am excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Please join our MiddleSchoolScience usergroup at Yahoo.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middleschoolscience/

We are 1100 strong and span the globe.

We can NOT do this alone - there are 30 year veterans, newbies adn everything in between to help.

Join us as we help each other.

(PS_ Nice effort with the blog - I am working on Podcasting myself)

John - Moderator
MiddelSchoolScience